Tuesday 12 February 2013

Three Events Entered

This morning I realised - I have less than 6 weeks until the first event I have entered for the year !!!!! EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK !!!! When I entered the Brisbane Twilight 10km event - I had so much time - how come I have less than 6 weeks now ? Oh yes, that would be because I got into a rut of being lazy and didn't do any training !!!!

Well, with that realisation firmly in the front of my head, I got home from work and went for a walk/run - just to see how I would go. For a start - it was slow. I can live with that. Next it was hot. I can live with that. Then I started the poncy style of running that my physio has assured me will stop my knee pain. I can probably live with that, at a push, if it means that my knees won't be sore. What I am not sure I can live with is my calves after getting home from doing said poncy running / shuffling !! My calves are absolutely killing me. BUT, I did feel a lot lighter on my feet and less of a plodder which may be an up-side for this style of running. I am sure once I get used to this style of running my calves will be fine but how long will that take I wonder ?

I got home and did the couple of calf stretches that I know and then popped around to see my PT and ask him others he could recommend. He showed me a couple more and suggested sitting with them in the pool if the water wasn't too warm and icing them. So I did that - sat with them in the pool. Then came inside and cooked dinner and after dinner sat with ice-packs on them. Man it is killing me to walk - what am I going to be like tomorrow - and even worse, the next day when DOMS really sets in ???????????

But, I got out there and did that first run - the one that always scares the cr*p out of me for some reason - hopefully they will get better.

My BIL has invited me to join a running group that he goes to on Wednesday and Saturday morning at 6am - I can't make a Wednesday as I have to leave home by 7am to get to work and I am really not keen on an early start on a Saturday morning BUT I thought I would give it a try for a couple of weeks to see if it is worth it for me - if not, at least I will have tried.

The next event that I have entered is The Colour Run which is happening on the coast on 14th April. Judging from the photos that I have seen of the run in Sydney this past weekend - it looks like it is going to be heaps of fun. It is only 5km so I am sure that I will be fine with that given I did 4.2km tonight albeit a lot slower than I would have liked but given how long it has been since I was actually running and the change to my running style, I can't complain too much.

The third event I entered is the 50km Brisbane to the Bay cycle on 23 June. A and I had spoken about entering but didn't get around to doing anything about it. Early bird entries closed at 5pm on Friday and we missed it so we thought we would leave it for this year. Then I got an sms today to say that they had extended the early bird offer to 5pm today so I called A to see if he was still interested and he said yes and that his brother (BIL from above) may also be interested. So, I called him and he said yes - we have entered the Morris Gang team. The event is about fund raising for MS so if you are interested / connected in anyway to MS and would like to make a donation - I can send you my page link for easy access.

I don't know how long it normally takes for hormones to start working but I am starting to feel better emotionally / mentally. This weekend gone we made a start on fixing up the garden - not the project that we had planned to do - but it was good to have a look on Sunday afternoon and see what we had accomplished. Now that the emotions are starting to return to some sort of normalcy, it is time for me to concentrate on the fuel that I am putting into my body. I am not sure that I can keep to the quantity of food that Dr Maxine advised me (given I am now one of the old ladies of the tribe !!!!) but I am back to cutting out sugar, dairy and wheat and trying to eat as healthily as possible. This combined with exercise HAS to see my weight go the way it should.

This weekend I asked A to get my bigger clothes out. It broke my heart to have to do this but I have realised that I am better off wearing clothes that actually fit me and are comfortable to sit in all day rather than trying to continue to squish myself into clothes that are too small for me. The bottom line is I have put on weight - whether I like it or not - whether it was something I did or not - or, whether it is just my body doing whatever it wants to - the weight is back and I need to learn to live with it rather than continue to beat myself up over something that I can't seem to control. I am hoping that my acceptance of this will mean that it won't want to hang around any longer and bugger off to the land where fat loss goes to.

Wishing everyone a great week - if you are interested in joining me or sponsoring me in any of the above events - send me an email and I will send you the details.

As always, (OK maybe not always but at least for this year) - it is Tuesday so it is time to link in with Jess from Essentially Jess for #IBOT. Unfortunately I didn't get around to as many blogs last week as I normally do - hopefully this week I can get to more.

TFTD : The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that that situation is over, you cannot move forward.



36 comments:

  1. Wow look at you superstar all lined up to do these events, how inspiring that you've been pressing on through challenges and have yourself booked to these. Sure we all have setbacks at times whatever it is in life, but makes you different is to maintain that desire to keep going forward despite the setbacks. I wish all the best of luck with these events and hope that the knee and calves and can work together at giving you a more comfortable run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trudie - the support from my friends has been amazing and certainly helps to keep me motivated as well !
      Love, hugs and positive energy !
      Me

      Delete
  2. Good for you! Color Run is easy - it's more about the fun, than the run. Where is your email? (I'm stupid apparently). Let me know which event is for which charity and I might rustle up some donation (I'm poor tho, don't get excited)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Lydia !!! Really appreciate it. Will DM you on twitter as I can't find an e-mail address for you either !!!! LOL
      Yes, I believe the Colour Run is a fun run - that is why I am trying to get some people together so that we can do it as a group - hope I am successful !!!
      Have the best day !
      Me

      Delete
  3. I saw pics from the colour run in Sydney on the weekend and it looked like SO MUCH FUN! You should do it.
    I can't run at all so the fact that you're giving it a go is very inspiring. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly - I think you can probably walk it if you wanted !!!
      Have the best week !
      Me

      Delete
  4. You are doing so well, keep it up! As for getting the bigger clothes out, hey, you can look awesome at any size :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. Yes, I definitely felt better in my more comfortable clothes today - no muffin top under my shirt !!!
      Have a great week !
      Me

      Delete
  5. You can do it!! I am SO proud of you signing up for these events and continuing despite your challenges, to seek out and persue your health and fitness xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my Friend - it means a lot to me because, as always, you are one of my cheering squad who help me along the way !
      Have the best day !
      Me

      Delete
  6. Well done you for sticking it out and persevering with all of this. Your attitude is awesome and I just love how you keep plugging away and adapting to what ever is before you. Such an inspiration. Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rhianna - it has been amazing since I changed my attitude to be more positive how (most of the time) I am able to keep plodding along to get where I need to get to !!
      Have the best week !
      Me

      Delete
  7. Good on you for getting back into it! And don't forget, you are not at fault for your weight. There's been issues, remember?? You sound a bit hard on yourself sometimes :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tracey - thanks for reminding me to put it all into perspective. You are right, I am hard on myself - as always, I am my own worst enemy !!! I need to work on being kinder to myself - every - single - day !!
      Have a great day !
      Me

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Oh Lisa - thank you so much !!
      Have a great day.
      Me

      Delete
  9. Go you - you'll kick the 5kms butt all over the show - and slow and steady wins the race. You've inspired me to think about maybe one day signing up so then I HAVE to get off my butt and exercise :) Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why I am in the situation of being just over 5 weeks away from a 10km run and not even close to being ready !!!
      It definitely works for me !!!
      Have the best week.
      Me

      Delete
  10. The colour run looked awesome - you will have so much fun! Don't worry about the bigger clothes we all do that sometimes, just keep working towards your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eleise - that is probably all that I can do !! I think The Colour Run is going to be great - can't wait.
      Have a great day !
      Me

      Delete
  11. I was meant to do the colour run in Melb. It looked like so much fun!! Good luck with all of your events.... you are one busy woman! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh - and thank you for stopping by. Sorry that you didn't get to do the run in Melbourne - hope you can get to do it next year.
      Have the best week !
      Me

      Delete
  12. hmmm. going to have to see this "poncy run" lol! in all seriousness i really hope it helps your knees! I can't believe you're in 3 events! i've talked about entering several, and have a friend trying to convince me to do the half marathon in july but that scares the crap out of me! glad to hear you're feeling better, too xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - you will definitely ROFL if you see my poncy run although my trainer did give me a little tip tonight which may make it just a little less poncy - will try it tomorrow night if my calves let me get onto the road !!!
      Only this morning I realised that the 50km cycle is the week before the GC runs - may have to change my plan for doing that - will see how my training goes.
      Have the best day !
      Me

      Delete
  13. I think I need to get a running coach, I've no idea what I'm doing and feel like a heffalump on the treadmill!! Go you, it's great to have these motivating things booked in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until the physio told me how I shoudl be running - I have just gone from walking to running - nobody told me I was supposed to run on my mid foot and not my heel. My trainer said I could try mid-foot then heel when I am running so will try that tomorrow night.
      I really need to have events booked in so that I can be motivated to train.
      Have the best day !
      Me

      Delete
  14. Don't focus on the weight, focus on your fitness. Until you get the hormones balanced it's an uphill battle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true - I am trying hard but sometimes I don't manage to get it right. I do need to remember to focus on my fitness and health and not my weight.
      Have a great day !
      Me

      Delete
  15. Wow!! At least you had the motivation to enter the events, and now they are motivating you, it's a good strategy I think!! I hope your recovery and battle for fitness go well! Looking forward to hearing about your progress x Karen #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - I 'think' I must have entered these events in a time of 'not being of this world' because it looks like I really didn't think about how much time I had before the 10km event !!!
      Have the best day and thanks for stopping by !
      Me

      Delete
  16. I have no concept of how you get motivated enough to do these - particularly when the pain comes along. Good luck to you, I have nothing but admiration :)
    Becc @ Take Charge Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk Becc - for me it is about trying to get my body healthy so that, as it gets older, it is in the best possible condition to work to it's capacity !!!
      Have a great day !
      Me

      Delete
  17. Wow, I am impressed! I think the Colour Run I could handle.. you can keep the rest ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd manage the others if you really had to. I think I may have entered them in moments of pseudo aweseomeness when I thought I would manage them - not feeling so confident now !!!!
      Have the best weekend and thanks for stopping by.
      Me

      Delete

I love getting comments - please feel free to leave a comment to let me know you were here !
Have the best day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...