Monday 21 May 2012

Exercising vs Growing My Business

I am finding myself in a predicament that is not going to go away until I deal with it.  In 2009, I opened The Body and Feet Retreat which operates out of our home Monday - Thursday 6pm - 9pm and all day Saturday.  When I was trying to accumulate my hours, I offered treatments for free.  I was amazed at how many people would book in for a treatment, I would confirm the day before and then they would not turn up on the night. Anyway, I digress, AGAIN !

As you know, I have recently started to exercise - a lot.  K says that I am turning into an exercise junkie - I wasn't sure whether that was a compliment or a put down because she threw the name Madonna in there as well !!!  The thing is, I am REALLY enjoying exercising.  Even yesterday when my legs felt like they were about to stop on our cycle, I kept going - I love the endorphin hit that I get when I exercise.  I love that on Friday night I could get dressed and go running when I was upset over a spat between K and A instead of eating because I was upset.  I love that tonight I ran for 4kms without walking - not even once.  I love that people are commenting on how much weight I have lost even though I haven't lost any more weight - I must do my measurements again because maybe I have toned up.

But this has led to me wondering what I should be doing about promoting my business because (a) the time spent promoting my business could be spent exercising (I have done letter box drops previously which has always got me some new clients - at least enough new clients to pay for the pamphlets that we drop off) and (b) more clients would mean less time to exercise.  We have spent a lot of money getting me qualified and turning our spare room into a really lovely therapy room - one that people love to go into for a treatment because the energy is so good.  We have given up a lot of time as a family to get me qualified as well as the time that I spend with clients.  Again, this is time that I could be exercising !!!  When I exercise, generally A will cycle with me if he is at home and quite often K will start out running with me but then take off by herself - which is OK because she runs faster than I do.

I recently signed up for an advert on a local doctor's reminder cards - apparently they hand out / send out approx 150 cards per day.  I would like to think that this will generate some business for me.  I need to get my head around this dilemma - I really want to grow the business because the money is to be saved for things like holidays, a new car, extentions to our home - so I have to massage a lot of people or do reflexology on many pairs of feet in order to accomplish it as these are not small expenses BUT it also means that I will need to cut back on my exercising especially as it gets colder now and so more difficult to go out running late at night once I have finished treating clients.  As much as I would love to be a morning exericser, I am not.  In fact, I want to sign up for the GC Marathon 10km race on 30th June - but it starts at 6.30am - how am I going to be able to run at that time of the morning ?  Do I eat / drink before I go ?  I always have something to eat at about 3pm but then only start to run between 5-6pm - does this mean I need to get up at about 3.30am to have something to eat ?  Can I run if I haven't eaten since the night before ?  Sorry - again I digress !!!

So I am back to having to consider - still - how much time do I want to spend building up my business at the expense of exercising ? And, I guess at the end of the day, nobody can make that decision except me BUT I would love to hear your opinion if it was you in this situation.

Have the best week possible !

TFTD : The only person you have the power to make happy is yourself.  Do that, and you will be in the perfect position to help others do the same for themselves - Alan Cohen


12 comments:

  1. It's always going to be about balance isn't it? You need to be happy with the status quo because only then will you find the path through! xxXOoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmen - you are definitely right -I need to find the balance that works for me and the family and my clients.
      Have a great day and thanks for popping by.
      Me

      Delete
  2. I agree with Carmen. It's about balance. It's great that your exercise activities are also family activities, that's one way to save some time!
    Decide how much time to dedicate to your exercise activites each day and fit that around your work schedule. We will all have different priorities, mine would be earning income first... exercising later. Or maybe never. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - my choice 8 months ago would have been my business - in fact, I wouldn't have even had to ask the question because exercise was not something that was high on my list of priorities - now I feel differently and I am going to have to work out what the right balance is for us.
      Maybe as our holiday gets closer, the money might be more important otherwise we won't have much fun when we are away !!!
      Have a great day.
      Me

      Delete
  3. It's probably pretty obvious what my stance will be on this issue, much like Lisa (exercising?... Never!) In all seriousness, sometimes to achieve balance you need to be flexible. Maybe exercising in the mornings won't be as difficult as you think, especially since you have the thing that most people lack - motivation!! Maybe a protein shake or a yoghurt drink before you go to keep you going until you get time for breaky? PS must come down for a treatment one day - your biz sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - when those endorphins kick in - they are so good - I am sure that it might be an option for you !!!
      We did used to cycle in the morning before we got our second jobs doing night fill - then our sleeping patterns changed as we would only get home at 1am so couldn't get up at 5am to cycle. 8 years later, we aren't packing now, but my sleeping is still cr*p so most nights only average about 4-5hrs sleep and getting up in the morning is really difficult for me - but may be something that I will have to consider to get the balance right.
      I would LOVE to see you for a treatment - doors are always open - give me a shout when you are ready !
      Have a great day !
      Me

      Delete
  4. Now that it's getting colder I'm not that keen on morning work outs either, but when I go in the morning, I usually just have some water, and maybe a mandarin or a couple of strawberries before I go. Nothing that is too heavy or that will give me a stitch. Then have a proper breakfast after. I think there's time to do both! And lets face it, if business takes off you're going to be too busy for sitting around eating anyway! ;-) It shouldn't have to be one or the other. I'm sure you'll be able to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A - I need to work on getting that balance right.
      Thanks for the tip re eating fruit in the morning - will give that a try next time before I go for a morning run.
      Glad to hear you got a bargain at Lululemon - might take A there when he is home - he is sure to say "Buy it" !!!
      Have a great Friday and catch up soon.
      Me

      Delete
  5. i think, that you have to exercise when it works for you, in order for it to be sustainable. Im learning, that im such a night exerciser - because my mornings are not only super cold, but also super busy! I know that you will be able to make it work, finding the balance, in amongst all the variables.

    ps i wish i lived closer cause i would totes be there weekly for a massage :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lyndal - I am working on the balance thing - I will get there in the end. Mornings just don't work for me - mainly because I sleep so badly that when I do finally get to sleep I don't want to have an alarm clock waking me up 2 or 3 hrs later so that I can exercise - I figure getting the extra sleep is better for me. And while some nights I wish I could have exercised in the morning, I have accepted that it doesn't work for me and I just need to get changed and get out there and pound the street !
    I wish you lived closer too - not because you would come for massages but because it would be so good if we could talk in person instead of via twitter/FB/blogging !!!
    Lotsa hugs.
    Have the best Friday.
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I lived closer, too...I am in major need of a massage!
    I think exercising is so important...it's hard sometimes but you have to make time...even if it's just a quick 20 min workout at home with some small freeweights...better than nothing :)
    ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea - I think sometimes I get too caught up in 'having to run' but I could just as easily do some exercises at home !
      Thanks for that - have a great day !
      Me

      Delete

I love getting comments - please feel free to leave a comment to let me know you were here !
Have the best day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...