Sunday 13 May 2012

Mothers Day Classic

Last night I had a dreadful nights sleep - even after taking a sleeping tablet - but, as Murphy would have it, it felt like I had just fallen asleep when the alarm went off and we had to get up and get down to Main Beach for the 2012 Mothers Day Classic.  We had had a great evening last night - organised a surprise for K at dinner by inviting her best friend from Brisbane - what a fantastic time we had - everyone laughing and joking - my Dad was on form and K's friend T couldn't stop laughing with us !

Anyway, K wasn't too keen to get up until I told her the time and then off we went. Managed to get a parking reasonably close by and then the waiting - oh the waiting - I just wanted to get started !!!!  We didn't go the route on the piece of paper they sent us but that was OK.  I started running and after the first km, my pace was 5 mins 35 secs and I knew that I couldn't sustain that pace but it was so hard to slow down because everyone was running past me.   I also realised that if I am going to run in the morning, I need to have something to drink before I run - not a lot, just small sips of something - big leasson learned !!!  I did manage to slow down - a little - not enough to slow down to what I had planned to run - but enough that more people over took me.  I think I was only just past the 2km mark when the leaders were already on their way back !!!!  Anyway, I didn't worry about them because there is NO WAY I am ever going to run at that pace which is about double my pace on a good day !  I turned, had some water and headed for the finish line.

My breathing was good.  My legs felt good.  The weather was great.  And I posted a personal best time for me - according to my phone 24:32.  Then I got the sms from MDC advising that I had come 374 (out of I don't know how many as the results are only going to be posted on Tuesday) in a time of 24:27 - either way, they are great times for me and I have a lot of confidence to enter another race.  I didn't come last. I didn't collapse along the way.  I wasn't the slowest on the day - not that that would have mattered but I really didn't want to be the last person across the finish line !!



Thank you to A and K for their support and encouragement.  K ran in just over 22mins.  Thank you also to all my wonderful blogger and twitter friends who have been encouraging and movitivating  and supporting me while I was training for this (coloursof sunset, lyndal, kate, jane) - you were all there every step of the way with me and I loved 'hearing' you encourage me to keep going.  I only walked about 3 or 4 lamp posts throughout the race when I needed a breather instead of my normal walk 250m run 750m. 

Last night we had an amazing dinner for K's birthday down at Alto Broadbeach.  We surprised her by inviting her best friend from Brisbane to join us - if you could have seen her face when T walked in - I'm just sorry we didn't take any photos - they would have been priceless !!!  We had such a good time - so much laughing and joking and the food was fantastic. I had a mushroom risotto and finished with a trio of creme brulee (my absolute favourite favourite dessert !!).

I have had a great Mothers Day today - starting with the race this morning, then dropping K at work, coming home and showering and then off to Mt Tamborine to take morning tea to my folks who were at the market there today.  Then a mosey around the shops while we waited for K to finish work so we could pick her up and come home for a leisurely dinner of nibblies and home made pizza minus the home made pizza because we had too many nibblies !!!!!

Have the best week ever - the first 5 day week - I hope I survive.  I have a longer run planned for tomorrow night.  I think I will have a 'steak day' tomorrow as my weight is starting to creep up a little and this successfully gets my weight down. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow you awesome woman - well done on the run. So glad you had a great Mothers Day as you truly deserve it xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia - it was a good run and I was really pleased with my result.
      Have a great week !
      Me

      Delete
  2. That lady is an awesome time - congratulations!!!!! Sounds like a great mothers day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammy - I was happy with it ! I hope you had a great mothers day.
      Love, hugs and positive energy.
      Me

      Delete
  3. Your time just blows me away! It sounds as though you really enjoyed your race as well, which is what it is all about. Make sure you enter that 10k cause there is absolutely no reason you can't do it - you are a star and such a positive influence for me so thank you xx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments - please feel free to leave a comment to let me know you were here !
Have the best day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...