Saturday 19 May 2012

Our Long Weekend in Yamba


This is an aerial shot of the resort where we stayed - Angourie Rainforest Resort (calling it a rainforest resort was a bit of a stretch but it was in a big wooded area).  The rainbow was one we saw as we were crossing a brigde on our way just outside of Yamba.  The swamp lagoon was outside our unit !


The bikes on the back of the car - ready to exercise over the weekend. 


Our balcony overlooking the lagoon.


Our unit at Angourie Rainforest Resort


When we arrived at Yamba we unpacked and then went for a drive down to the beach where I took this photo.  Someone that works with A told him about a really good Italian restaurant but couldn't remember the name - not a problem as it wasn't difficult to find.  Had a great meal there before going back and having a good sleep.


Woke up at about 6am (as you do when you are away and can sleep in !!!) - I thought A might go back to sleep but when I said I was going to go for a run he said he would cycle with me so off we went.  Out the resort and turned left for 3kms and then 3kms back - the 'hills' were unpleasant - where I run on the Coast there are no hills - no inclines - nothing - it is absolutely flat !!!  Anyway, made it back to the unit, showered and off to breakfast.  I felt really good about being able to run while we were away - for me, the key is to keep the momentum and motivation going - I am always scared that if I stop I won't start again (having said that, this is the first time I have been away and actually exercised while we have been away !!!)


After that we jumped into the car and went exploring.  Got to McLean (about 10km from Yamba !!!) and saw all the lamp posts were painted with Scottish surnames and in the relevant tartans.  Found MacLaughlin and took a pic of it (that is our family name although spelled a little differently).


For some reason A wanted to look in all the second hand / antique stores so we were in and out the car numerous times !!!!  This is not something he is normally interested in and eventually I had to ask why - he didn't know except that we could !  So I then said he have 4 more stops he could make - we laughed so much.  Went to Grafton - really not much to see and while I would LOVE to live in Yamba, I wouldn't give you thank you to live in Grafton.



We caught the ferry across the Clarence River.


Got back to the unit and tried to find the Suns/Freemantle game on the TV but it wasn't being broadcast in NSW.  K called with updates every now and again and were following them on Twitter - such an exciting game.  Got changed quickly and tried to find the local tavern to see if we could catch the game there but couldn't find it so went to the Bowls Club - still couldn't see it there so stayed and had dinner - such good value for money and great food (if you are ever in the area try to make sure you go there at least once !).

Sunday morning we woke up and had breakfast before getting on our bikes and cycling down to the ferry across to Iluka.  Arrived there and cycled about 30kms all up - went to Woody Point.


Some of the beaches at Iluka / Woody Point and sunsets at Yamba



More beaches and another sunset

Cycling around there was great although our butts really felt it as it has been ages since we have cycled - the weather was magnificent which helped as well.  Actually I got quite a nice tan on my shoulders (and of course A's face got quite red as he didn't put block out on !!!)


Sunset at Yamba


We loved having the spa bath - a great way to finish each day.  We went back to the Bowls Club for dinner it had been that good the night before.

On Monday morning we woke up, had breakfast and packed the car.  Then we drove into McLean and had a wander up and down the main street.  They had a shop called Pot Belly Pies and we couldn't resist getting pies from there.  I am not a pie person - in fact I can't remember when last I ate a pie - I really don't like them - but these looked so good.  We bought them for lunch.  Left McLean and drove home as K was at home and we thought it would be good to spend the afternoon with her.  We had the pies for lunch when we got home - thank goodness we didn't have them any earlier when we were there as I would have bought a whole heap of them and put them in the freezer for another time - they were the nicest pies I have ever had !!!!  Again, if you are ever down that way, give them a try.

We looked at property down there (we were that taken with it) but then, on the way home, we spoke about it - K wouldn't move because she is at uni, my Dad starts his radiation treatment and would need to stay here and given that we have all moved half way around the world, we really want to be able to see each other and be there in need, so it doesn't make sense to move - for now.  But, give me a couple of years, maybe we can turn this dream into a reality.

It was a great weekend away - just what we needed - time to be together and reconnect.  It has been difficult with A working away so much.  I am really glad that we went on that weekend because the following week they were called into the office to be told that the company had been bought out and the buyers didn't want their division.  So A is working today on stuff that they need to take with them when they leave on Monday.  He will be away for about a month but luckily will be home a couple of times in that month and I will go up one weekend when they are working so that we can at least have the evenings together.

Have a fantastic weekend - I am having a great time even though A and K are both working today !!!!

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie - it was just what we needed.
      I hope that your pain levels are a bit better today and that you had a better night last night.
      Enjoy the rest of your weekend !
      Me

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely time! I was super interested to read your post because that is an area close to my heart...I have fantastic memories of school camps at WoodyHead and more recently taking my kids to Yamba for the holidays....eventually relocating up there when the kids are much older is a dream of mine too! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks N - I would LOVE to relocate there - definitely something that is on my long term "to do" list !!
      Have a great weekend !
      Me

      Delete
  3. I want to go there now! I'd even be quite happy to leave the kids at home with the hubby and just take myself. Your weekend away looked amazing and so relaxing and you room overlooking that gorgeous swamp, sorry, lagoon.

    Has A heard anything about a new job yet? Hopefully it won't be long before he has another job to go to. I keep thinking about getting hubby and myself some bikes so we can go riding with the kids. Every time I hear about your cycling it spurs me on more to get them and after seeing your bikes on the car I am pretty certain that when the tax check arrives a couple of bikes will be in the garage soon afterwards. The strange thing is that we both have bike helmets, just no bikes to go with them.

    Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - it would be great even if you went by yourself. Lots of time to just relax and be !!!!

      Lots happening regarding A's job - his boss has asked if he could wait 2-3 weeks before making a decision as there are a couple of options in the pipeline so we are playing the waiting game right now.

      We had a great cycle today - I really wish I could fit more cycling in my exercise schedule but unless I want to exercise twice a day, I can't fit much more in !!! When you buy your bikes - look for good gears and good back shocks - they make a big difference. Oh, and get good nicks too - they make a HUGE difference !!!

      Good luck with your ribbon badges - can't wait to see the pics !
      Love, hugs and positive energy.
      Me

      Delete
  4. What beautiful photos and I love the bikes on the back to get exercise in..... one day that will be me and hubby biking around the place because we love to LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M - before you know it, it will be you cycling around !!!
      Have a great week.
      Me

      Delete
  5. Ohh what a gorgeous weekend .... love the photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a lovely part of the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure Badger. Not as pretty as Vienna though !!!
      Hope you have a great weekend.
      Me

      Delete
  7. We were up that way in January but I don't think we went into Yamba this time. Sounds like a great weekend with a nice balance of exercise and indulgence. Glad you had ome time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little off the beaten track to get to but lovely if you have the time - maybe next time you are up this way ?
      Hope your weekend has been good - catch up with you next week.
      Love, hugs and positive energy.
      Me

      Delete
  8. I spent a few holidays on the beach in Yamba when I was a child. Lot's of fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY for our childhood memories. Was dredging them up with my folks recently - we had a great time playing 'remember when' !
    Take care !
    Me

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments - please feel free to leave a comment to let me know you were here !
Have the best day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...